Home > Resources for Educators > Professional Development > Teaching Materials Training Program
Teaching Materials Training Program for Local Chinese Teachers from foreign countries 2012
Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters will host the Teaching Materials Training Program for Local Chinese Teachers from foreign countries. The Confucius Institute at the University of Minnesota has been invited to forward at least three applicants for this program. For more information, please visit http://training.chinese.cn.
The program aims to:
- improve the quality of international Chinese language teaching
- promote Chinese language teaching materials of Hanban
- provide specialized and diversified support for local Chinese teachers from foreign countries with respect to teaching and training materials
The overall training is divided into three topics:
- Teaching materials (50%)
Aimed to help trainees understand, know well and use key Chinese language teaching materials recommended by Hanban, including: Chinese Paradise, Kuaile Hanyu (Happy Chinese), Learn Chinese with Me, Mandarin Teaching Toolbox as major teaching materials in primary and secondary schools, supported by My Chinese Picture Dictionary, My Little Chinese Picture Dictionary and Talking Posters for Chinese Teaching and other outstanding teaching materials. New Concept Chinese, Contemporary Chinese, New Practical Chinese Reader, Great Wall Chinese, Mandarin Teaching Toolbox as major teaching materials in universities and for adult training, supported by My Chinese Picture Dictionary, Talking Posters for Chinese Teaching and other outstanding teaching materials.
- Teaching methods (30%)
Presentation, case study and demonstration class, among other methods will be used based on teaching materials and overseas classroom practices to display and exchange practical Chinese language teaching methods and skills related to language elements and skills teaching. Trainers and trainees will jointly produce teaching aids, such as assorting teaching plan, PPT used at classroom and test papers. Feedback will be solicited from trainees on improving Chinese language teaching methods and the design of classroom activities. Participants will be able to share training and teaching experience.
- Culture and modern education technology (20%)
Lectures of all kinds that showcase Chinese culture will be launched based on real teaching demands, such as Chinese movies, music, painting, opera, literature and traditional Chinese medicine, among others, as a way to improve trainees' artistic appreciation on Chinese culture. Training on practical skills will also be made available, including searching online, multimedia and modern teaching materials, and courseware production. Activities such as cultural visits, teaching resources exhibitions, and training achievement appraisals will be held.
During the proceedings of the training, trainees should submit various training results, such as teaching courseware, teaching plan and thesis.
Training materials (including teaching plan, PPT, courseware and training video) will be offered to trainees free of charge after the training is completed.
The programs are temporarily set to take place between June and December. The training of each class will last 7 days (4 days of training + 1 day of cultural study + 2 days of round trip).
Trainees will complete the program at one of the following locations.
- Guangzhou: Sun Yat-Sen University
- Xiamen: Xiamen University
- Changchun: Jilin University
- Beijing: Beijing Foreign Studies University
- Beijing: Beijing Normal University
- Beijing: Peking University
- Haikou: Hainan Normal University
- Shanghai: East China Normal University
- Tianjin: Nankai University
- Wuhan: Wuhan University
- Dalian: Dalian University of Foreign Languages
The program is free and includes accomodations and materials but trainees are responsible for purchasing round-trip airfare to and from China. Trainees may apply for a travel expense subsidy through Hanban/Confucius Headquarters. Contact the Confucius Institute at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-625-5080 for more information.
- Applicants should be:
- Chinese language teachers of foreign nationality or Chinese citizens with a permanent residence certificate of mainstream teaching facilities such as a university, primary and secondary school (full-time schools)
- younger than 60 years old
- speak relatively fluent Chinese
- be in good standing health
- Applicants shall declare to abide by Chinese laws and refrain from compromising China's national security, damaging social and public interests and disrupting public order.
- Teachers who attended the 2010 and 2011 Teaching Materials Training Program for Local Chinese Teachers from foreign countries organized by Hanban cannot apply for this program. Those who have applied for the 2012 China Workshop Program for Foreign Chinese Language Teachers of Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters cannot apply for this program in the meantime.